5/06/2013

Vítejte v Praze!

On April 28, we headed to Prague. The train station in Berlin was incredible ; it was huge, modern, and very efficient. Bigger and better than any I’ve ever seen in France.

We were in a train compartment with some older women and on our way to the Czech Republic we saw the most beautiful mountains. Once we arrived, we realized we had no idea where we were or how to get to our hostel…

So we headed to a gas station, bought a map, got directions completely in Czech from the friendliest European I had thusfar encountered, and headed to our hostel.

It was a little scary at first because none of us knew any Czech and it is a language that is absolutely nothing like English (as you can see in the title, which means welcome to Prague). We did well though ! It’s easy to get around even when you don’t know the language as long as you’re prepared. Even with paying for things, you just hand the cashier more than the total could possibly be and you’re fine. Czech was so different I couldn't even learn the words for hello or thank you...plus I admittedly didn't try too hard because English can be used anywhere and people for the most part understand.

It didn’t take long for us to realize that Prague is one of the most beautiful cities in the world. The buildings, the streets, it’s just one of the most both charming and humble cities I’ve ever seen and I’d go back a million times if I could. It was rainy again, just as it was every single day after Amsterdam, so my photos aren't that good (plus I haven't edited these ones) but bare with me and use your imagination, these places really are incredibly beautiful.




We were also shocked by the money…a Czech crown is worth about 5 cents so I got out 200 dollars, which was 4000 crowns ! Imagine getting a bill with the number 2000 written on it, people ! It’s a weeeeird feeling.

For dinner we ate at a restaurant called Lokal where we got some delicious Czech food (goulash, potato dumplings, beer (which I have somehow acquired a taste for over the last few months), and fried cheese) and afterwards I had a cookie.


Then we walked to the famous Charles Bridge !




However, I had the worst hostel experience of my life that night. There were two guys in our room with us (because hostels are dorm style). It all started when one of them started playing Mumford and Sons on his iphone without using ANY earphones. And then on top of that, his buddy started to snore louder than I’ve ever heard anyone snore before. So loud, in fact, that sleeping became impossible. His friend with the music was probably just trying to sleep but Kelsey, Amanda and I weren’t having it. I won’t go into the details of the entire story (it’s even better than that, ask me later if you’re interested) but needless to say, we had an almost sleepless night. So in case you’re wondering what a hostel can be like…and if you’re ever traveling and using hostels, expect things like this to happen. Then when you’re lucky and end up getting a room to yourself (like we did for the next few nights) you’ll cherish it even more !

I regret not having taken photos of all of the hostels, because they vary sooooo much, but just google it if you're that interested. Oh and also you may be thinking of all of the horror movies surrounding hostels but you'll be happy to know that I felt 100% safe in every hostel we stayed in.

No comments:

Post a Comment