5/20/2013

Pensant aux adieux

I leave in 9 days and I'm already thinking about goodbyes!

Reasons why:

Monday and Tuesday I had 2 of my classes for the last time. I'm always sad at the end of the semester, I get too attached to my teachers. This semester it wasn't quite that, it was more that I wished I had the opportunity to get to know them better (since we only had class once per week).

And today I was observed again for my teaching practicum. This time it went wonderfully! I'm actually not sure if it could have gone any better. Daniel (program director) drove me home again and I asked him how he feels after each semester when everyone leaves because for me, that would be a difficulty. He didn't tell me anything that I wasn't expecting though.

I started thinking about what I'm going to get for Mme Ollivier as a thank you and what I'll write in the card that I give her with it...and then I started thinking about bringing something for each of my students that says something like "Thanks for being a great student!" "Keep up with English :)" "It was great meeting you!" etc etc etc and I'll also bring them some candy or something. I'm really going to miss Madame Ollivier and my class, I would have liked to get to know them better...but everything in life happens for a reason and lasts for only as long as it's supposed to. Plus it's true that sometimes things last far longer than they ever should have and turn into something crappy. Better to end on a good note than a bad one!

While I was walking home I was having some huge, complicated thoughts about how I'm going to feel when I get back but now I'm tired and I forget them all so you'll all just have to wait until I'm experiencing reverse culture shock to see how I feel.

I know I've been talking to lots of people about how homesick I've been and how much I can't wait to come home, but I do sort of wish I'd spent more time here. It's hard to really get to know a city and a whole population of people and a language in a matter of less than 5 months. I don't know Rennes like I know Pittsburgh. I haven't taken full advantage of nearly anything that was offered to me by this city, but it's true that real life (like the need to study and sleep) can easily catch up to you and hold you back from experiencing everything life has to offer (which is, admittedly, unfortunate).

Sidenote: I'm sorry, but expect random French phrases to just blurt out of my mouth every now and then when I'm home. I'll tell you what it means, I think that sometimes I'll just be unable to control it! Certain things just sound better to me in French, or make more sense, or whatever. Maybe you'll learn some new phrases :P

Oh! And a little anecdote from today:

I taught about prom and graduation and I had to explain to the students what "promposal" is and therefore what a proposal is. How I defined it: "when a guy or girl asks their partner to marry them." So I was pretty good about being sensitive to different people, as I usually try to be. However whenever I asked the students who their celebrity date would be, I ended up asking the girls what guy they would go with and vice versa. But then one of my (female) students said "We can't go with a girl?" and I said "Oh of course! I'm sorry! You can go with whoever you want. Great job, progressive thinking." And then I felt like a jerk a little bit for forgetting my own rules of thumb. But I let it go because I was busy and I corrected myself eventually. I'm just glad she brought it to my attention instead of not saying anything.

And another little anecdote from today:

I'm helping Pauline with her English a little bit and I'm having a lot of fun! She's not exactly had the easiest life up until now and she's still having some difficulties. On top of that there's the natural sibling-ness that happens here where she gets picked on a lot because she's the youngest here...so I tend to take those sorts of people under my wing, I don't know why, I just always have because I like them most out of anyone.

Being here in France and especially with Monique and all of the kids and at CIREFE (my school department, where we're all foreigners) has made me realize how much I enjoy being both around foreign people and around kids, especially kids who haven't had the easiest of lives. I think when I get older I might do foster parenting like Monique. She's made a big difference in these kids lives as if just providing a safe place to live isn't enough. Actually I had been thinking I wanted to do that before I left for France and the program directors didn't know that before they put me here, it was just a happy coincidence.


No comments:

Post a Comment