5/27/2013

"Aimless" Wanderings

So my day didn't start till around 11. I slept late because sleeping is a wonderful way to kill time. Then I headed out, went to the grocery store for a coke (caffeine fix) and started my journey to the Central Market. Or at least I wanted to, anyway. 

Every time I try to use the map to get somewhere, I epically fail. Florence is really confusing, for some reason. So instead, I decided to just wander since I have 3 more days to kill anyway. I don't really know exactly what I saw today, but I know the things were big and important. Eventually I'll try to figure out where I was, but I'm 99% sure I'm hitting every single major tourist spot there is.




I got lunch around this area at 1pm because by that point I had resigned to the fact that I was not going to find the market any time soon. I tried going into this one place that I knew would be good because there were Italians there. The only problem is that...I don't speak Italian. And they didn't have a menu. So after a few minutes of struggling to figure out the system, I gave up and left. I ended up getting a subpar sandwich (which was actually pretty good compared to anything in America, it just didn't feel that way because I knew I could have had something way better) and then I got gelato.


This was the best. gelato. ever. Yet again, I saw a store where Italians were sitting so I figured it had to be good. Luckily they spoke English there. I got hazelnut and pistachio...I just can't describe how good it is. The texture is just so smooth and silky.

Here's a tip if you're ever in Italy and want to find a good gelateria (I learned this from the internet, can't take credit):

1) If the gelato is not the color of it's flavoring, don't eat it. Meaning banana should not be neon yellow and pistachio should not be neon green, they should both be rather muted and bland looking (as you can see in the picture).

2) There are two words that you should look for that mean important things...but I can't remember them, so look them up. Your safest bet is to simply ask if the gelato is made in house, because that's mostly what's important. 

3) If there are Italians there, you're probably safe.

4) If it costs more than you think it should, you're probably right. I got that cone for 2 euro, baby. You can hardly buy anything for that in France. (Profiting from economic crises, is that okay?)

So anyway, then I stumbled upon these guys.






Then I took a walk towards Porte Vecchio again, the old bridge, because I wanted to cross to see the other part of the town. That was a WONDERFUL decision.


I found that you can climb all the way up to like the highest point in the city from there. If you're interested, I ended up at Piazzale Michelangelo. (That's where the statue dude is). 


But on the way there, I saw Giardino delle Rose, which was actually on my list of things to do! Oh, and the views along the way were freaking incredible.






And I also saw San Miniate al Monte, the beauty of which my camera cannot do justice. The inside was gorgeous.





And then I found this path, so I took a walk. I realized how long it's been since I've been in woods like this (basically since America, I don't think France even has woods other than in designated parks...that's an exaggeration, but you get the point). But seriously, living in Rennes was way different from living in Shaler in that respect.





And then on my way back to my hostel (because it was almost 17...which means 5 for you Americans...) and I was exhausted. But I saw the Basilica of Santa Maria Novella on the way back (on a failed attempt to find the market, for the third time).


After relaxing for a while, I headed to the supermarket to get apples and something for dinner because I'm not really willing to experience dining in a restaurant alone yet. I was talking for a while with the Canadian and he said he just did it for the first time and it was really boring. Soooo I probably won't end up doing it. 

I am getting more used to being alone though. As long as I'm up and doing something, it's not too bad at all. I didn't end up watching a movie last night like I thought I would but maybe I will tonight.

I was just thinking about how my host family is just finishing dinner right now and it made me sad not to be there. Tonight I'll make some tisane (yes, I did bring some with me. I don't know why) and drink it as a tribute to France. 

On an unrelated note, I saw those French girls from the bus walking around earlier today.

And on a slightly related note, if you want to know how to be European, here's one small tip: wear a jacket, no matter the weather. Even if it's 70 degrees, the sun is shining, and your hiking up a hill, keep your jacket on. And wear a scarf if you want to add a little French flare. 

Oh, and if you want to be able to pick out groups of American girls in Europe just look for the people all wearing short, bright sundresses with no tights. They will definitely be American. 

Or look for the girl who caused a moped to crash because she was stupid and didn't look when she started to cross at the crosswalk. (Yes, I did see that happen today). 

No comments:

Post a Comment