5/07/2013

Absinthe Adventures in Eastern Europe

April 30

We decided to go see the Lennon Wall before our second tour of Prague. It's on a different side of the city from the old town, across the Charles Bridge where the Prague castle is.




After that, we took a little break and tried some Czech ginger bread. I don't know why mine was in the shape of a Christmas tree but it was the cheapest!


After that we got lunch at a restaurant that Hope recommended and it was delicious! I chose a dish called Grandma's something or other because it had to be good if Grandma was in the name...


And believe me, it was. Those are 3 different types of meat, sauerkraut, potato dumplings and bread dumplings. I couldn't finish it all. But I get back and look like I've gained a bit of weight, now you won't have to wonder why.


And then I took a picture of all the money I had! Top to bottom: Czech crowns, euros, a dollar (ooobviously), and some old Amsterdam money (they use the euro now) that someone accidentally gave me as change when we were there. Fun!

Then we climbed Petrin Hill (not all the way to the top) where the mini-Eiffel Tower is located (yep, that's a thing) and saw some killer views of the city.







On our way down, we saw this "Memorial to the Victims of Communism" which is (in case you can't read the print on the plaque) "dedicated to all victims, not only those who were jailed or executed, but also those whose lives were ruined by totalitarian despotism." So...the Communist Era is obviously not taken lightly. Prague actually wasn't fully liberated until 1991. Can you believe that?




So yeah, as you can see this monument is a little unsettling (as it should be).

And then we went on another walking tour! This time of the other side of the city. I saw Franz Kafka's house! Which felt like a really big deal for some reason.


This little guy (a 2-tailed lion) is the national something or other.



And I thought this was sweet.



We also saw the Prague castle and the most beautiful cathedral I've ever seen but those pictures didn't really turn out well and this post is already full of them.

During the break no our tour, Kelsey and I got this apple strudel thing. They were sooo gooooood. (Reason #2 for any weight gain...)



Later in the day, we went to the Old Town Square, which was right by our hostel, to get dinner because it was cheaper there than going to a restaurant.

We had sausage for dinner (which was delicious)

And these little babies for dessert. They're called trdelnik (yeah, that's why I called them "these little babies"). Anyway, they're something like pizza dough coated in sugar and almonds and roasted on those large stick things. They're freakin delicious. (Reasons #3 and #4)




Oh, and did I mention that absinthe is legal in Prague and sold in shops all over the place? Of course I tried it. 

A decision I highly regret.


So here's the story: there are these pub crawls that happen in Prague and Berlin and we decided to do one because they're relatively cheap...so Kelsey and I decided to pregame by taking the 2ish shots worth of absinthe in these bottles (this stuff is like 64% alcohol) and then on the pub crawl we had 2 hours of open bar...Yeah, I'm sure you can imagine how I felt the next day...not to mention I remember absolutely nothing except waking up with a bucket next to my bed and the stories that Amanda (our babysitter) told us (which I'm obviously not going to reveal on this blog).


JUST KIDDIINNGGGGG!!!!! GOT YA!!! Lol do you really think I'd do that?

I did try it and I do regret that decision but not for that reason, you silly. I regretted it because absinthe is DISGUSTING. First of all, it's anise flavored. Second of all, it has a high alcohol content, third of all look at the color of that stuff (can I get a drano?), fourth of all...just don't try it. It made me want to vomit. 

But this is how we prepared it. Kelsey read on the internet that you should do some weird thing with a sugar cube and fire, but we had neither a sugar cube nor a safe place to light a fire so we did the best we could with what we had: we poured half of the bottles (they were the really mini ones) into a coffee mug, diluted it with water, and added sugar. Just......ew.

I made myself drink the crap, sip by sip, followed by spoonfuls of peanut butter to get the disgusting medicinal taste out of my mouth. And guess what? I felt nothing, nothing but regret. 

So people, don't waste your time on absinthe. I'm sure you'll go somewhere it's legal and be like "oh but it's legal, I have to try it!" but don't say I didn't warn you.

A photo of our attempt to make absinthe something non vomit-inducing:







No comments:

Post a Comment