2/10/2013

Minor Adjustments

I've been looking through what I've posted and realized that there is A LOT that I'm missing. I'll try to post more over the next few days, but I figured I'd start now.

The plan (since it's been drilled into my head here in France that you always start by telling your reader your plan):

Go through the series of emails, one by one, and add more description/tell what has changed since then.  Starting with the post A Series of Emails

My 15 year old host sister Monica is from the Congo, but she's been living with Monique for 7 years. This weekend I met her older brother, Vincent. He lives in St. Malo and he's nice enough to take the time to talk to me :)

My 13 year old host sister's name is Morgane; she's been here for 2 years but she goes home on the weekends. Apparently when she came here she could hardly write and wasn't very good in school, but she's improved drastically (with the help of Monique) and I never would have guessed that she ever had difficulties like that.

My 12 year old host brother's name is Aurelien; he's partially blind and he also leaves on the weekends.

Sleeping is still a weird-ish thing here, or at least different from at home. I have classes at 8:30 three days a week and I always hear Monica when she gets up in the mornings around 6:30 because she lives in the attic above me.  I usually go to bed around 9:30 or 10, and every single night I wake up between the hours of 3:30 and 5:30 for no reason at all, so I usually check my email on my phone and respond to any new ones I get...I'm well aware of how weird that is.

The preliminary language course that we had for 2 weeks was a bit of a joke...but it killed time and I met some interesting professors. At the end we got to taste all kinds of Breton specialties (aka cakes with 10 pounds of butter in them and cidre --mildly alcoholic, carbonated apple cider is how I would describe it) and it was allllll freeeeee!

How'd I do on the placement test? I got into the C2 level...which is the highest possible. So woohoo! Speaking French is still pretty hard, but I'm realizing that I just have to let go of the notion that I need to speak without making mistakes which is difficult for me to do, but once I get past that I know I'll be fine.

Like I said in the last email, I still don't understand how the French are so skinny. I do feel like I might have lost a few pounds, but still how that happened is beyond me.

I'll dedicate an entire post a little later to the French traditions (that I've experienced) surrounding food and meals.

And now for your entertainment, let's play a game of find the Frenchie! Hint: there are 4. This should be rather easy for you since you may have already seen pictures of my friends...


Think you've got it? The only boy in the photo, that's Matthieu. Then behind him on the left with the black and white scarf is Pauline. To his right with the glasses is Lola, and to her right is Lise. They're the program monitors.

You can't really tell in this picture, but Pauline is adorable and very French. Matthieu is hilarious, Lola is super classy and sarcastically funny, and Lise is sort of quiet and sort of a hippie if you can't tell :p



No comments:

Post a Comment