2/09/2013

Le Mont Saint Michel et Saint Malo


Today we had an excursion with our program. Mt. St. Michel is an abbey from the middle ages...it was very overcast and rainy today and I'm too lazy to edit my photos (as per usual) so the pictures are dark. 

Mt. St. Michel is actually an island though, and during certain parts of the year it's completely surrounded by the sea. The Bretons (people of Brittany) and Normands (people of Normandy) both claim it's part of their region, but my host dad told me to say that I was in Normandy. So...there you go!

Another awesome thing is that Mt. St. Michel was actually what inspired the design for the city Minas Thrith in the Lord of the Rings! And if you know me, you know I was geeking out about it. 


On the left is the LOTR city, the right the one that I visited today (not my photo, of course). But that's the coolest thing ever right?!


We also visited St. Malo, which is an awesome beach and it's only an hour away from Rennes!

And here's a picture of my friends and I all together. Tanya on the left, Amanda on the top right, and Kelsey bottom right.


It's so awesome to walk around medieval towns, I really did feel like I was in the Lord of the Rings at certain points. There were also all kinds of little shops and cafes throughout.

Bad news though: I'm becoming  a 2 cup-a-day addict...of ESPRESSO. Oh well, c'est la vie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment