2/10/2013

L'alimentation

Now it's time for the food post.

Every morning, my host mom sets the table for everyone in the house (even though we all eat at different times). She unloads the dishwasher around 7am, which can get a bit...noisy, because of the whole open-air spiral staircase thing. But it's still nice, nonetheless.

For breakfast, I always have cereal because most of the cereal my host mom buys is DELICIOUS. Chunks of real chocolate...so good.

Then during the week I have lunch at the university. (I'll add more pictures later, once I start taking them :p). You get one main plate and either 2 or 3 sides, depending on the main dish that you get. Everything I've had there is pretty good though! Way better than Pitt food, I can tell ya that. I like to get the plat du jour because then I get 3 sides (I usually get bread, a fruit or vegetable side, and a dessert---yogurt, pudding, rum-drenched-cake covered in whipped cream...). Sometimes I get cheese for a side though, when I'm feeling particularly French.

As much as I enjoy the food, sometimes I hate the cafeteria because it gets so crowded that we have to stand with trays full of food and wait for someone to get up. But that's only if the universe is particularly angry at me. Oh, and usually after I eat there I'm pretty dang full. I make sure I eat a lot because then I usually won't eat again till 7pm since they don't snack much here.

Oh, and what I just said is a lie. I feel like they snack here a lot, and it's on pain au chocolat or some equally rich pastry. The French paradox...so I don't snack a lot, and if I do I buy dried fruit.

After lunch, I usually get a coffee in the same building because it's much cheaper and very good. When I come home I'm probably going to end up buying myself an espresso machine...used, of course!

And thennnn eventually it's dinner time. A typical (winter) meal: soup, then a protein and carb (usually fish/turkey and pasta/potatoes/rice), then cheese and bread (if you want, not always), then dessert (yogurt, pudding, fruit, fruit salad, little cookies). It doesn't sound like much, but by the end of dinner I'm usually pretty stuffed.

But sometimes my host mom will switch it up for dinner. Last night we had a more adult-like dinner since the kids weren't there: different smoked meats, bread, tomatoes and lettuce. A few nights ago my host mom made this Asian-like soup which was spicy and deeelcious, and then another day she used a wok and made a stir-fry with Vermicelli noodles.



Of course since this is a food post, I cannot neglect to mention galettes/crepes/wine.

If you've read my previous posts, you've seen a galette. If you haven't, click here.


This is a crepe that Amanda and I split in Nantes. If it looks like there's a pool of butter and sugar sitting in the middle, that's because there is. There are also toasted almonds :)


And in all honesty, I haven't drank that much wine. But when I do, it's either on Sunday at lunch with my host dad or it's vin chaud (which is hot red wine with spices in it). 


No comments:

Post a Comment