2/13/2013

Dear France

I think it is time to let go of our long-standing relationship with mayonaise:

You are so much better than the fatty condiment that is associated with the one and only Paula Deen (even though you, being the "gourmand" country that you are, have no idea who she is).

In order to better understand why you so often resort to mayonaise I did some research. As it turns out you all started to enjoy this condiment back in the days of Louis XIV and a century later it was named one of the five "mother sauces." I get it...back then, flavor enhancers were needed. Not to mention being fat was a sign of wealth.

Old habits die hard, a phrase I know and understand well, but let's be real. Nowadays, the stuff comes out of a jar. Nowadays, obesity is a problem (even the French will admit it). Nowadays...we just don't need mayonaise. There are so many other sauces that I have seen here: Dijon mustard, vinaigrettes, even ketchup. Why keep resorting to mayonaise if there are so many other better options?

So, my dear friend France, put that jar of mayo back on the shelf.

You know I just want what's best for you, what's best for us. It's time to end this toxic relationship.

With love,

Holly

No comments:

Post a Comment