4/02/2013

Pensées au hasard

Last night I couldn't sleep very well and so I ended up thinking about what it's going to be like to come back to America.

I was thinking about coffee (and the fact that I was going to need a lot of it to get through today) so naturally I started thinking about going to a coffee shop...

And the first thing I was appalled by was the use of paper cups instead of glass coffee cups even though they use them here for to-go drinks. It was more the idea that cafes in France are just very different from chain coffee shops in America, I guess.

My program here in Rennes ends in 7.5 weeks and I'll be leaving in just about 10 after I spend a few weeks traveling Italy with  my family...that means that I've already spent 12 weeks here. I can't believe it! It's gone fast and slow at the same time, just about the same as 12 weeks feels in America.


My host mom gave me this chocolate bunny today. With chunks of hazelnuts (noisettes, you can see on the foil) in the chocolate! So good

But the weirdest thing is that at this point I'm completely used to my life here, to being away from my family, to being presented with situations that make me feel a little anxious sometimes, to being surrounded by a language that I first loved, then was indifferent towards, then absolutely loathed, and now I've come back around to loving it again.

I've been thinking that I wish I had done an academic year here because by the time I leave I'll just be really getting into improving my French but there's always the future to look forward to.

We switched our clocks back Saturday night and now I'm all thrown off. But it's nice because it's 8pm and still light out! And it was also light out this morning when I left for school.

It's been a lonnngggg day but I got an exam back and found out I did just about average for the Americans in the class and I was glad for that because it was the only class that I felt I might actually not do well in. And I was right about the part that I actually didn't too that well on so I was ready for that. But I found out that I made up for not doing so well on that part by doing better than others on the second part. It's just a matter of strengths and weaknesses.

It was really nice out this morning so I decided to take a picture while I was standing at the bus stop. 


Well I started off this entry with a goal in mind, I think, but I had to eat dinner in the middle of writing it and now I have no idea where I was going...

I guess I just wanted to make a point of documenting the fact that I'm going to start easing myself back into thinking about America every once in a while because otherwise I'm gonna have crazy culture shock.

But then today our program director gave us Reese's cups, which you can only get in America, so that was on the positive side of coming back to America. Mmmmm peanut butter.


So anyway here's another song for you! It's by Nolwenn Leroy, she's from Bretagne and she won The Voice or something here.




And in other news, I just downloaded Rebecca Black's song "Friday." Something I'd never imagine myself doing...but it's for my teaching so that's a valid excuse, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment