4/25/2013

Berlin Wall Memorial

Today we got in at 5 and hung out in the bus station for about an hour. Then we found our way to our hostel and finally headed out to see the Berlin Wall Memorial.

It was incredible, as you can see in the pictures.

In one of the photos you can see how the wall would have been back before it was torn down. I'm still in disbelief that so many people were shot (some of the victims are pictured) just for trying to obtain their basic rights.

The fact that East Berlin was even allowed to exist just baffles me, and I know this is just the start of the shock I'm going to experience here in Berlin having to do with Nazi Germany.

We really didn't do much today because we were so exhausted but tomorrow and Saturday we will be doing walking tours of the city.

From what I can tell of Berlin, which truly isn't much, it's not that beautiful of a city, definitely not what one expects from Europe (especially jut having been in Amsterdam). But how could it be when so much of it has been destroyed and rebuilt over the last 100 years?

But we'll see how I feel about it all after the next few days.

Anyway, for lunch we had currywurst at Konnopke's (which is said to be the best in town) and it was pretty good.

I'm exhausted right now and sitting in the hall to get wifi, but the immature group of 15 year olds down the hall is driving me freaking insane. I'll write more tomorrow, the travel fatigue is starting to take a toll on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment