6/02/2013

Quick résumé

Since my wifi access has been limited, I haven't had the time to blog...nor have I had much motivation.

So I'm just going to write a quick one to summarize everything that's been going on:

1) Typical tourist things in Venice. I'm sure you can imagine: gondola rides, a lot of water, small streets, lots of pizza, etc etc etc.

2) Still weening myself off of caffeine

3) Quality time with baby Kate, so fun!

4) Crappy weather, as usual. Hoping that Sicily tomorrow will be a nice change!!!

5) Reverse culture shock has begun:

    a. I think about France every single day and feel sad, but it's getting easier (I guess)

    b. I think about America every single day and I don't know how I feel about that. I'm ready for my own bed though.

    c. I'm tired out of living out of a suitcase

    d. I hate tourists. Like, really hate them. I'm not a fan of being one either because I know how annoying I am. I try to be as least obnoxious as possible.

    e. Yesterday I hate one of the worst headaches that I've had in Europe and I didn't realize it until I got in bed and wanted to cry myself to sleep out of pain, stress, and homesickness for two different countries and so many different people that I just felt really confused. Result : tylenol PM ---> good night's sleep but grogginess in the morning. But I'm fine now, that was just a really really rough night.

    f. I'm really really worried about how much I'm already forgetting about France and the things I did. I'm also worried about how I fell right back into being the person that I was before I left and I sort of forget what I decided I want to do with my life because I'm no longer living that life...and it's really sad. I want to go back to France to live. I miss the country, the culture, and the people. It was an interesting challenge to have to accept a culture and learn a language but it's one that I honestly truly enjoyed.

    g. I feel that there is an absence in my life because the people I used to go to for advice are no longer there. I could email them, sure, but it's not the same...and now I don't really know who to go to when I'm having issues with something like reverse culture shock. I guess this can just be taken as a lesson of self-reliance. Don't get me wrong though, I do have friends that I talked to on Facebook last night when I was feeling really crappy and they helped me :) I just mostly miss having an adult around who understands exactly what I'm talking about/is interested in hearing my issues.

Conclusion:

All in all, I'm happy to be here but sometimes I just feel kind of "blah" (aka sad, I just don't want to say it). I know it's just a phase that I have to go through, but I hope it doesn't last too long. I think maybe I just need to get back into the swing of having a routine life. I'm not expecting my transition to living in America to be easy though. I'm expecting it to be rather difficult, actually, so all I ask of those around me is to just bear with me. I'm bound to have some really cranky and crappy moments. It's nothing personal, it just is what it is and I'll try to keep it to a minimum.

Alrighty that's it! Tomorrow we're headed to the airport at (before) 6am to go to Catania in Sicily so I'm hoping that'll lift my spirits! (I think that the lack of sun might actually be having a HUGE impact on my mood).

I also lost my earbuds in the hotel room. I think a maid may have thrown them away. That's actually really upsetting to me, but I will be fine. (Things I keep telling myself :p)

I wanted to post a picture but my wifi is acting up so I can't :(

No comments:

Post a Comment